0

Sprinkling a little love around

Being a well-raised, polite woman, I was raised to NEVER, NEVER go to someone's home empty handed. If you are invited for dinner, you bring wine or flowers. If you're going over to watch a game or a movie, you bring snacks or some form of alcohol. Under no circumstance, do you arrive sans a hostess gift.

In preparation for my trip to Houston, I racked my brain trying to figure out what to bring. I wanted to bring something that was unique and thoughtful-- something that I knew Cicely would appreciate. Bamboo plants from Chinatown? Pastries from Porto's? Arghhh.... What to get? What to get?! Then it dawned on me... Sprinkles Cupcakes!

Sprinkles Cupcakes is one of the Most Popular Cupcake Bakeries in Los Angeles. I'm not saying it is the best...only the most popular. I have not taken the time to fully investigate whether or not they are the best. However, that is a task that I will add to my to-do list. All I know is that magazines, TV Shows, & celebrities (namely Oprah) have shouted the praises of Sprinkles Cupcakes. I had brought a mere 6 cupcakes for her last August and they were enjoyed (read :squirreled away) over the course of week. She liked them so much that only ate half a cupcake at a time to allow them to last longer.

Now that I had decided what to bring with me, I had to resolve a major issue. How would I pick up these cupcakes? I had to pick them up after work, but with enough time to get to the airport. I got off of work, in theory at 2:00. I had to be at the airport by 4:00. Sounds like enough time, right? Not quite. In this traffic-riddled city, I was cutting it close. The trek from Marina Del Rey to Beverly Hills is approximately 8.1 miles. According to Mapquest, it should take 20 minutes. Ha! Factor in that it's a Friday, that it's in the middle of the day, and that I'll be in Beverly Hills... The trip will now take 45 minutes! That would give me 30 minutes to park my car and stand in line at the infamous bakery. The lines for these culinary confections are legendary. Egads! What was I going to do? Then my phone rang.

It was Rob. Lo and behold! He was coming by my office to pick up my car. And what's this? He had the rest of the day off? Problem solved. My fiance has his finer points. This is definitely one of them. A task that I was dreading he balked at and simply said "No problem as long as I get to have some cupcakes". I gave him a printed list of cupcake flavors and other miscellanea to purchase. He obligingly left.

I found out later that he really is a trooper. My poor fiance get stuck in the infamous L.A. traffic despite knowing alternate routes. He then stood in line for 45 minutes. He patiently waited for 14 cupcakes, some cupcake mix, and a t-shirt. After which, he sped off to my office to pick me up and take me to the airport just in time for my flight. Problem solved... and it only cost me two dark chocolate cupcakes.
The actual cupcakes that survived the trek from Los Angeles to Houston

My personal favorite - Red Velvet


0 more coherent thought(s):

Post a Comment