1

Views, Doughnuts, Bikes, and Books

DSC_4537

Memorial Day Weekend - Day 6
I spent the night at a hotel in Lake Oswego, which is just south of Portland. My flight wasn't until 2PM. I wanted to explore Portland a little more. Surprisingly, I was up early which is not like me. I had laundry list of things I wanted to see and I was determined to see as much as possible.

DSC_4533

DSC_4534

My first stop was the Portland Aerial Tram at OSHU. The ride was $4 roundtrip. The tram gave me an opportunity to capture these images.

DSC_4546
Mount Hood

DSC_4535
View of downtown Portland

DSC_4550
Tram on its way up

DSC_4536

DSC_4543

DSC_4549


DSC_4545

The tram ride was brief and treated me to some great views. However, truth be told, it wasn't anything to write home about. I won't complain too loudly... It only cost me $4.

DSC_4558

Next stop was Voodoo Doughnut. My cousin Marnie and I happened to watch a segment on Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" about this little "hole in the wall".



After watching the above clip, I was determined to find this place. It took a bit of maneuvering to find it, but I did.

DSC_4563

DSC_4565

DSC_4568
The verdict on Voodoo? They were good, but so sweet I nearly put myself in a sugar coma.

DSC_4577
Final stop - Powell's City of Books. This is a bibliophile's version of heaven. Powell's in an independent book seller that takes up an entire city block and is comprised of floors and floors of book.

DSC_4575

DSC_4579

DSC_4581

DSC_4583

If people in Los Angeles think they are "green", they have nothing on the folks in Portland. There as many bikes parked everywhere. There are bike lanes everywhere. It's a cyclist's dream. Public transportation is fantastic.
DSC_4530

DSC_4531

I kid and say that the folks are "crunchy granola", but they really do take caring for the environment seriously. If I was surrounded by as much natural beauty as the folks in Portland, I would too.

1 more coherent thought(s):

Lindsey said...

Great shot of Mount Hood! And, don't even get me started on Powell's...

Post a Comment