0

It's my birthday

June 23, 2009 - Belated Birthday

I spent my actual birthday (June 19th) slaving away working on my parents' house. I had originally planned to celebrate my birthday by going to the Hollywood Bowl.

I sent out the evites. We were planning the menu. Luck wasn't on our side. The show sold out before I could purchase Group Tickets. Once that happened, I didn't have the heart to make alternative plans.

Thankfully, Rob made a few plans for us.

After picking me up at the airport, I came home to this....
DSC_5073
...and this. I love flowers, but I love candy even more! I'm such a sugar fiend.
DSC_5072

The next day, we went to Don Felix Peruvian Restaurant for lunch.

I enjoyed a margarita. {I know it's not Peruvian, but it was on the menu}
DSC_5043
Rob had some Peruvian beer.
DSC_5042

DSC_5036
Aji Criollo - a hot sauce made with hot peppers, cilantro, garlic, onion and lime

DSC_5040
Ceviche Mixto

DSC_5039
Calamari

After lunch, we happened upon Tiki Ti's. For once, they were open and there wasn't a wait to get in. Tiki Ti's is one of the oldest Tiki Bars in Southern California. It's been family owned and operated since 1961.
DSC_5044

The drink menu was extensive. I ended up asking the bartender what he recommended.
DSC_5045

I had a Bayanihan and Rob had a Bloody Tiki.
DSC_5055
DO NOT let the small glasses fool you. These drinks pack a punch.

The bar has a very high kitsch factor. One of their traditions is for people to write down the first time they visited Tiki Ti.
DSC_5049
The place is filled with all kids of Tiki and Tropical decor.
DSC_5052

After all that delicious food and drink, I literally passed out. I had a delicious nap with the A/C on full blast. I was unconscious for 3.5 hours! {I guess all the work I did at my parents' house finally caught up with me}

When I awoke, we headed out for another fave. - Ramen. I have a tradition of eating Japanese food on my birthday in honor of the city of my birth Yokosuka, Japan. I chose to eat at Mr. Ramen in Little Tokyo. Ideally, we would have gone for sushi, but tough times call for a few sacrifices.

DSC_5064
Shiyo Ramen

DSC_5070
Gyozas with Pork Fried Rice

After dinner, Dottie and Rob presented me with my birthday cake fruit tart from Porto's.

DSC_5082

DSC_5076
This is how I spent my low-key birthday.

0 more coherent thought(s):

Post a Comment