2

Counterproductive


Counterproductive: adjective : tending to hinder the attainment of a desired goal
I mentioned working with a personal trainer a few weeks ago. Well, I think that was a waste of my time. Nothing against my trainer. Trainer X is a good guy. He's unbelievably motivated and in amazing shape. However, not the trainer for me or the right route for me. Why you ask? Because I went from working out 4 times a week to once a week. How did this happen? Well, Trainer X pushed me WAY past my limits. I know, I know. My athletic cohorts are going to tell me that it's his job to do that. Yes and No. I actually don't need to be pushed. I'm fairly self-motivated. What I really needed was someone to just design some workouts for me. I really wish I had articulated that better.

Trainer X got all bone crusher with me for our first session. I was on the rowing machine. I did squats, hopped up and over a step, and did planks all in a 25 minute window. I literally thought I was going to vomit. The only reason why I didn't vomit is because I realized that the nearest toilet was all the way over on the other side of the gym. I like this gym. Although it's open 24 hours, I did not want to have to troll in their in the middle of the night to avoid embarrassment. Aside from wanting to vomit, I could barely stand. Never in my sports-loving life have I felt like my legs were going to collapse beneath me. The worst is that I knew I would be sore for a couple of days. In actuality, I ended up being sore for 4 DAYS!! I am not exaggerating nor am I a wuss. I have a high threshold for pain. For 4 days, I could barely move. I hobbled down the 4 stairs that led from my front door to the ground. I didn't leave my house because I didn't want to have to walk anywhere. I tried everything. Ibuprofen, Tiger Balm, and soaking in Epsom Salts. It was miserable. However, I am tough and persevered.
Next session, I told him to take it down a notch. He did. The end result? I was sore for three days instead of four days. It's progress I suppose. It's horrific in light of that fact that I am going to the gym less than before. This has, in turn, caused me to regain some of the weight that I had loss prior to starting with Trainer X. ARRRGGGGHHHH!!! I am so frustrated. I have canceled the rest of my sessions with Trainer X. I think I'm better off floundering on my own.

Next stop, classes at the gym and a few workout books. I'm still doing some research as to what might work for me, but for now... I'm just going to amp up the cardio. Who knew working with a personal trainer would be such an exercise in futility?

2 more coherent thought(s):

aileen said...

Hi Anne! Sorry to hear the trainer was a bust, but don't give up on all trainers. There are actually some good ones out there. The weight gain is most likely due to all the muscle you built and water retention. The dramatic weight loss will happen after a few weeks of consistent weight lifting or strength training (unless you're eating more calories than you used to due to the increase in activity - be careful). Keep it up! Or jump on the cycle... that'll definitely burn off a lot.

Mrs. Masters said...

poor anne =(

A good trainer is hard to find, what works for them doesn't always work for their clients, I wish all of them understood that!

(and we're totally doing a vampire-hours shoot together soon, I NEEDED that company you offered last night!)

Post a Comment