1

Something to Ponder

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." - Aesop

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead



I know that typically this blog is largely humorous and light-hearted. My life is complex, but I choose to leave the heavier topics for private conversations. Believe or not, there is quite a bit that I keep close to the vest. This is one instance where I'll take a break from the regularly scheduled programing.



A few months ago, I registered for Blog Action Day. This year's topic is Poverty. I initially thought. Geez! This is a tough and heavy topic. What could I say that would remotely make a difference. I thought I'd talk about the working poor and welfare reform. However, I don't know nearly enough about those topics to speak with authority or eloquence. Then, I was reminded that the even the smallest actions can make a difference. I decided that it was about time I made good on one of my New Year's resolutions. I registered as volunteer for Habitat for Humanity.



I chose Habitat for Humanity because they seemed to have a tremendous impact on families that are trying to elevate themselves. Additionally, I wanted a tangible way of being involved in my community. Thankfully, I have spent many summers helping my dad repair and remodel my parents' rental property. Although, I am bit nervous about signing on for this because my constructions skills are rusty. I also signed on to help with office work and graphic design services. Here's hoping they're going to call on me more for the latter rather than the former. Either way, I'll be sure to share my experiences.

Not to be left out, Rob will also be volunteering his cooking skills to a local non-profit that works with the homeless. The details haven't been secured. So, I won't name the organization just yet. Although, he is adamant that I mention that he is not volunteering during the holidays. Not because it's hectic, but because we both feel that non-profits are more than covered during that time of the year. It's easy to remember "those less fortunate than us" around the holidays, but what about the rest of the year?

So, in the middle of your hectic life, give volunteering a thought. Because the little things make a difference and sometimes a little perspective never hurt. If you want to find something closer to where you live and your skills and abilities, check out www.volunteermatch.org.

Okay, I'll step off of my soapbox now.

1 more coherent thought(s):

MissJordyPants said...

Good for you! I've done Habitat before... definitely let them know that you're a skilled home repair person... or you get stuck vacuuming all day! I vacuumed and Chris got to play with power tools. boo!

Post a Comment